Saturday, January 26, 2008

O.M.G.

Ahhhh..... a long crazy day at work. I'm going to tell you a secret: I've been drinking. Haha! I've had literally the worst day at work in my entire 13 years of working in Labor & Delivery. And so I came home and had two great big glasses of Baileys and Butterscotch Schnapps. Do you KNOW how good that is?!

Without getting into too much detail, there is a handfull of life and death situations in Labor & Delivery that we call "True Obstetrical Emergencies." Of them all, I think probably the worst is an Amniotic Fluid Embolism. It is extremely rare... I've never experienced it in all of my years working. It's a very dramatic reaction to something you cannot prevent or control... and that's what happened to my patient today. About 80% of the women (and their babies) die from this... hideous odds. But somehow today, with the help of an incredible, incredible team of people and most certainly God, my patient and her baby are still alive. It's really and truly a miracle.

But how do you deal with something like that? You can't imagine the trauma you feel after being involved in such a situation (never mind the family!). So us nurses decompress in whatever ways we can, I guess... we talk, we cry, and sometimes we just have a great big drink.

Oh - and sometimes we sit down and design something! I'm working on a different type of Valentine Kit called "The Broken Road" (after the song by Rascal Flatts). It's really a beautiful song that makes you thankful for every moment in your life - even those that may have caused you regret - because each moment has led you right to where you are now.



Sorry! This product is no longer available for download.

5 comments:

Stephanie

HUGS to you on your hard day at work!! I have never thought of what the nurses do to deal with the stresses of that. It makes me wonder what the nurses did after work, who were there when I delivered my stillborn baby girl....sigh. So on behalf of them, thank you for being such a caring individual!!!

S

Hugs to you after your hard day of work. I have 3 (former) preemies, none of us (even me!) would be here if not for good nurses and docs in NICU's and L&D units, so I truly thank you for all that you do!

Unknown

I love this alpha- fantastic job!! I am new to digital scrapbooking (haven't made anything yet- just gathering supplies, LOL) and I am so glad to have found your "store". I can't wait to use all the gorgeous freebies!

Cindyrelly

Wow, sounds like you really needed that drink. I'm sooo glad to hear that your patients BOTH made it and are doing well. When I went to Lamaze Training with my eldest daughter for her First ( and my First Grandchild ) they said the most important part about a Birth Plan was a Healthy Baby and Healthy Mom. So glad that's what happened. Have a Great Day ;) Oh, and Thank You for the Fantastic Alphas!

Anonymous

It has been an odd week we've had our share of oddities this week on our unit. I certainly understand where you're coming from. Some days are just so stressful that it can be hard to put in words. God Bless!

Blogger template adapted from 'Fundamental' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 using "Addicted to Love" Digital Scrapbooking Kit by Joanna Cinnamon at My Digital Addiction.

Jump to TOP