Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Place of Inspiration

As Designers we are often asked where do we get our inspiration from. So, in honor of Earth Day 2008, I thought I would talk about one of the places that I get my greatest inspiration. Of all the beautiful places on our planet, I particularily love botanical gardens, arboretums and nature centers. Maybe it's because of my complete ineptitude at gardening, maybe it's my admiration of beauty or maybe it's the just simple enjoyment of nature at it's best. Either way, I make an effort to go to such a place at least once a year. I take my camera and try to get a year's worth of pictures to scrap and design with!

One such a place is the Shangri La Gardens and Nature Center located in Orange, Texas. This is a beautiful 252 acre haven displaying a combination of gardens and nature. The botanical gardens are alive with exquisite flowers, plants, insects and animals, each with their own distinct characteristics. There is a Nature Center, giving visitors the chance to see, explore and learn about the east Texas wetland ecosystem. Amoung other things, you can find a state-of-the-art bird blind, a tree over 1000 years old, greenhouses and sculpture gardens.

The Shangri La Gardens and Nature Center is the first project in Texas to be certified by the U.S. Green Building Council's Platinum certification for LEED®-NC, indicating the design and construction of Shangri La meets the highest "green" standards. These gardens proudly boast of being one of the most earth-friendly projects in the world. With the mission of improving and enriching the quality of life in Southeast Texas as well as encouraging and assisting with education, this private foundation is special retreat for those looking for peace, tranquility and maybe just a reminder of the beauty of nature that still exists.

0 comments:

Blogger template adapted from 'Fundamental' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 using "Addicted to Love" Digital Scrapbooking Kit by Joanna Cinnamon at My Digital Addiction.

Jump to TOP